Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How to: Coordinate Your Nail Polish with Your Clothes

I'm sure some of you are wondering what nail polish has to do with fashion. Well, let me tell you: Nail polish can be a major accessory! It is as vital as a pair of earrings. Many of my acquaintances say that they never paint their fingernails, but polish on your nails is a finishing detail that should not be overlooked.

As an admitted nail polish addict, I can often be seen wandering the nail polish section in Ulta. Many happy hours have been spent researching the latest nail color trends. Each season I figure out which new looks I can rock and which ones I should leave on the runway.

Recently, my quest for the perfect polish became even more complicated. For the last several years I have slowly been moving towards an organic, cruelty-free lifestyle. All of my go-to brands did not meet my new requirements, so I had to find replacements.

It did not take long to see that their are not many organic polishes on the market. I decided to expand my search to include products that did not include harsh chemicals or solvents. They also had to be cruelty-free. I  researched tons of polish lines, many that I had never heard of before, and found some awesome nail polish manufacturers.

Armed with my new-found knowledge, I returned to my beloved Ulta. I was pleasantly surprised by the vast array of shades in the "healthier" brands. Now I could get back to one of my favorite accessories.

I love mixing colors and patterns. Nail polish is the easiest way to incorporate more textures and colors into your look. Notice I said "mix." Matching is no longer de rigueur (required by etiquette or current fashion). Nowadays you need to work at coordinating.

For example, you can start with a little black dress. I'm sure you knew I would suggest an LBD. Add a mango cardigan and pewter flats with fun details. Throw on a multicolored beaded necklace. Grab your silver purse and you're good to go.

Wait, wait, wait....You've left one "i" undotted, one "t" uncrossed. With the entire rainbow at your fingertips, which color do you choose? Well, let me suggest turquoise. It is bright; "coordinates" with your black, mango and pewter; and it's one of the trendiest nail colors this summer. Check out my turquoise nails!
I love how the necklace ties all of the colors together
(Nail Polish: Flyin' High by China Glaze)

2 comments:

  1. In nursing school we weren't allowed to paint our nails I can't wait to start painting them again!!! I think I will use TURQUOISE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the turquoise! I've realized that it's a "new neutral." You can literally wear it with everything. I know you'll love it!!

    ReplyDelete